Military Discharge Documents (DD214)

Importance of Copies

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.) The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of your discharge document, our office will furnish free certified copies to you.

Lost/Misplaced Copies

As a courtesy to military personnel, the Recorder does not charge for the recording of the DD 214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD 214 form in our office, you will need to contact the Isanti County Veterans Services at (763) 689-3591 for assistance. The Recorder office only has records of DD 214 forms that have been submitted to us for recording by the veterans themselves.

Veterans Must Show Interest in Records

Discharge papers are considered private data pursuant to MN Statute 196.08. You will need to fill out a form showing tangible interest before a copy of the military discharge can be released.

Per MN Statute 196.08, a person who has a tangible interest is:

  • the subject of the record, report, paper, or document;
  • the surviving spouse of the subject, if the subject is deceased;
  • a surviving child of the subject, if the subject is deceased and there is no surviving spouse;
  • a surviving parent of the subject, if the subject is deceased and there is no surviving spouse or surviving children; 
  • a duly appointed guardian, an attorney in fact, or a duly authorized representative