Military Discharge Documents (DD214)

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.) The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of discharge paper the office will furnish free certified copies to filer.

There is no charge for the recording of the DD 214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD 214 form in our office, you need to contact your local branch of the veteran's administration for assistance. Our office only has records of DD 214 forms that have been submitted to us for recording by the veterans themselves.

Military Discharge Records became private as of January 2004 pursuant to Minnesota Statute 196.08. Anyone requesting discharge papers must fill out a "Request for Release of Private Data". Only the veteran, certain family members, and the Veterans Service Officer can request this information. Learn more at the Isanti County Veterans Services page.

Related Documents