- Gun Permits
- Renewal of Permit to Carry
Renewal of Permit to Carry
The Isanti County Sheriff's Office requires the following guidelines for the renewal of a Permit to Carry a Pistol in the State of Minnesota (Minnesota statute 624.714):
- A five year permit expires at midnight, on the date of expiration shown on the permit.
- The applicant must appear in person to renew their permit. Minnesota residents must renew in the county in which they reside. Out of state residents can renew at any sheriff's office.
When renewing a permit:
- The applicant must apply in person.
- The applicant must submit a completed Permit to Carry Application (PDF).
- The applicant must provide a government issued ID.
- The applicant must present evidence that they have received approved training in the safe use of a pistol within one year prior to the date of the renewal application.
- A permit can be renewed up to 90 days prior to the expiration date of the current permit. The renewal gun permit fee will be $75.
- After the expiration date, but within 30 days after the expiration, the permit can still be renewed by paying a fee of $85. During this time the old permit is not valid and you will not be able to carry until after you receive your renewal permit.
- 31 days after expiration the old permit can no longer be renewed. An application will have to be submitted for a new gun permit. The gun permit fee will then be $100.
- Make all checks payable to Isanti County Sheriff's Office.
- Applications for both permits to purchase and permits to carry are only accepted Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays) at the Isanti County Sheriff's Office.
Applicants are reminded that the Sheriff's Office has 30 days to process and mail a permit or to deny the application.