- Veterans Services
- Benefits & Services
- State Benefits
The following benefits are provided by the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs:
- Temporary financial assistance (short term disability) and dental and optical assistance - Temporary financial assistance to veterans and their dependents during a period when veterans are disabled and not able to work at their normal occupations. Veterans must have served 181 consecutive days active duty, unless discharged due to disability incurred while on active duty, and discharged under honorable conditions. Benefits under this program are income based and the maximum length of assistance is six months. This program also provides payment of monthly utilities (excluding telephone service), monthly rent or mortgage, basic dental and optical care and clothing allowance to eligible veterans and their dependents.
- State veteran's homes (nursing home and domiciliary care) - Five state veterans homes have been established by the Minnesota Legislature to provide nursing and domiciliary care to eligible Minnesota veterans and their dependents. These homes are located at Minneapolis, Hastings, Silver Bay, Luverne and Fergus Falls.
- Veterans and war orphans education benefits.
- Veterans preference advocacy.
- State veterans' cemetery (Little Falls, Minnesota) - This cemetery is located near Camp Ripley, north of Little Falls, and is open to all members of the armed forces and veterans discharged under conditions other than:
- Minor children
- Unmarried adult children (under certain circumstances)
- Unremarried widow or widower