Military and Overseas Voting

Minnesota residents temporarily residing outside the United States qualify for local, state and federal office ballots. Minnesota residents residing outside of the United tates indefinitely qualify for federal office ballots only.

Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

You can apply to vote absentee with the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) if you qualify under one of the following:

  • Overseas Civilian U.S. Citizens, (Defined as residents of Minnesota residing outside of the U.S. either temporarily or indefinitely)
  • Members of the Uniformed Services and their dependents who are also U.S. citizens and residents of Minnesota. (Defined as U.S. Armed Forces, merchant marines and the commissioned corps of the Public Health Services and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).
  • Be sure to sign your FPCA card.

To obtain a FPCA (Federal Post Card Application) for each person who will be voting by absentee:

  • Complete an absentee ballot application online.
  • Complete a FPCA
  • Contact the Minnesota Military and Overseas Voter Service
  • Members of the Uniformed Services can contact your Unit/Organization Voting Assistance Officer (VAO) for assistance. If you do not know who this is, ask your chain of command for assistance.

Email, fax, or mail your completed FPCA to your county auditor as soon as possible.

  • Isanti County Auditor-Treasurer
    Attn: Elections
    555 18th Ave SW
    Cambridge, MN 55032
  • Fax Number: 763-689-1644
  • Email to [email protected]

FPCA applications are valid through the end of the calendar year or through the next regularly scheduled state general election, whichever is later.


Ballots will be issued to you 45 days before each election or after the receipt of your FPCA (if it is received less than 45 days before Election Day). A postage paid return envelope will be included with your mailed ballot. Ballots must be received before the polls close on Election Day so return your ballot as soon as possible. Voted Ballots cannot be accepted if faxed or emailed.

Isanti County Auditor-Treasurer
Attn: Elections
555 18th Ave SW
Cambridge, MN 55032

If you have applied for, but have not received your state ballot, request a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot from your Embassy/Consulate/VAO or online.

Track Your Absentee Ballot

You can track the progress of your absentee ballot with the absentee ballot lookup tool. If there is a problem with your ballot, election officials will send a replacement.