Before contacting us, you may find the answer to your question here.  If you review this information but still don't find what you are looking for, feel free to contact us.

General Questions:



Child Custody/Visitation:

The Jail & Contacting Inmates:

Neighborhood Watch Program:

Becoming a Deputy Sheriff:

Ride-A-Long Program:

Permit to Carry:

ID Theft and Financial Crimes:

Employment Background Release Waiver:

Prescription Drug Drop Box Locations


Q: Where is the Isanti County Sheriff's Department located?

A: We are located at 2440 Main Street South, Cambridge, MN 55008-9302.  Return to top

Q: What is required to hold an event on a lake in Isanti County during the winter months?

A: In the interest of public safety, the Isanti County Sheriff’s Office has adopted the following rules to hold an event on a lake in Isanti County.

  • You must request a permit from the sheriff’s office to hold an event.
  • You must have insurance for the event, naming all parties involved with the event, as well as naming the Isanti County Sheriff’s Office as the insured.
  • If you are holding a snowmobile race and the speeds are above 50 mph, you will need to get an exemption from the DNR.
  • We will not allow any event to occur unless there is a minimum of 12 inches of ice, even if a permit has already been issued.
  • You must have someone to clean up any garbage or debris left behind.

Permits are free of charge and can be obtained by contacting Chris Caulk at (763) 691-2408 or at chris.caulk@sheriff.co.isanti.mn.us.

Return to top

Q: My electricity is out.  Who do I call?

A: Contact your electric company.  They have dispatchers on duty.

Return to top

Q: Where can I get more info about my ATV, dirt bike, boating laws, etc.?

A: Visit the DNR's website at www.dnr.state.mn.us

Return to top

Q: I'm leaving town for a few days.  How do I schedule a security check?

A: Download a Request for Security Check form and send it to us before you leave town.  Click here to download the .pdf form.  Send your completed form to:

Isanti County Sheriff's Department
C/O Dispatch Center - Security Checks
509 18th Avenue SW
Cambridge, MN 55008

Return to top

Q: How do I find out about road conditions?

A: Call (800) 542-0220 for road conditions, or go to www.511mn.org to get the information online.  511 helps commuters and travelers access information regarding weather-related road conditions, construction, and congestion, via the web - 24/7.  You can also view live traffic camera views and access other information that may be of interest.

Return to top

Q: What should I do if I receive a harassing or threatening phone call?

A: If the call is life threatening, dial 911, otherwise click here.

Return to top

Q: When should I call 911?

A: If you have an emergency or see a crime happening.  For general inquiries you can call (763) 689-2141.

Return to top

Q: How to make a Data Practices Request?

A: .  You have the right to access the county’s data under the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act. You can look at the data for free or get copies for a charge.

State law requires the county to make it easy for you to access the data and it also treats government data as public data unless another state or federal law specifies it is not public data. "Government data" means all data collected, created, received, maintained or disseminated by any government entity regardless of its physical form, storage media or conditions of use.

How to request data

Request data using the data request form.

Submit the request form via mail, email, or fax.  Request forms can be submitted in person during regular business hours.  Please remember that your request may not be processed immediately.

To make a request without the form, you need to put your request in writing and include the following information:

  1. State what you are asking for under the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act; and
  2. Specify whether you want to look at the data, get copies or both; and
  3. Provide a clear and detailed description of the data requested.

The Isanti County Sheriff's cannot require you to identify yourself or explain why you are asking for data. However, depending on how you want the Isanti County Sheriff's to process your request (e.g. you want to receive copies of the data by mail) county employees might need some information about you. If you choose not to identify yourself, the Isanti County Sheriff's Office will give you a point of contact so that you may check on the status of your request. If Isanti County Sheriff's Office employees do not understand your request and have no way to contact you, we cannot process your request.

How the Isanti County Sheriff's Office responds to your request

When the Isanti County Sheriff's Office receives your request, we work to process that request. If the county does not have the data or the data is not public, we will notify you as soon as possible and give you the reason why any data is not public. State law does not require the us to create or collect new data in response to a data request.

When the county has the data and it is public

  • If you want to look at the data, we will arrange a date, time and place for you to do so, at no cost.
  • If you want a copy of the data, we will provide copies as soon as possible. You can pick up your copies or have them sent to you. You must give the us an address or fax number.
  • If you want an electronic copy of the data, we will provide it if the data is in an electronic format, like email or CD-ROM.
  • We are not required to provide the data in a specific format or arrangement if it does not already keep the data in that format or arrangement. For example, if the data exists only on paper, we are not required to create electronic documents.
  • We are not required to answer questions that are not included in the data request.

Requests for summary data

Summary data are records that are specially prepared so they leave out private or confidential information about individuals. Preparing summary data is not done to provide access to private or confidential data. To request for summary data, you must make your request in writing using the Data Request Form. If there are charges associated with preparing summary data, state law allows the county to pass those charges on to you. It is always best to ask about summary data charges in your request.

Copy charges

You can look at the data for free or get copies for a charge. State law allows the county to charge the public for copies of government data.

  • For 100 or fewer paper copies, the charge is 25 cents per copy.
  • For most other types or amounts of copies, the charge varies. It depends on whether a charge is set by rule or law, or the cost of searching for, retrieving, copying, or transmitting the data.

The Sheriff's Office factors employee time, cost of materials and mailing costs in determining a charge. If the county hires an outside party to make copies of items it cannot reproduce, like photos, the county passes that charge on to you.  These charges may be required up front.

Return to top

Q: Is there a law or ordinance regulating dogs in the county?

A: Yes there is. In 2003 the Isanti County Board of Commissioners adopted an ordinance that regulates dogs in Isanti County.  The ordinance includes provisions on kennel licenses, rabies vaccinations, control of dogs, enforcement of the ordinance, and more.  This ordinance was adopted by the Board in an effort to "provide for the protection of dogs and also the health, safety, and general welfare of the citizens of Isanti County.  Click here to download a complete copy of the ordinance.

Return to top

Q: My neighbor's dog barks all the time. What can I do?

A: There is no law or ordinance against barking dogs.  We recommend telling your neighbor about it.  They may not be aware that it is barking and might help you out.

Return to top

Q: There is a dog running loose.  Will the Sheriff's Office pick it up?

A: No, we do not pick up dogs unless they are causing a nuisance such as defecating, digging or damaging your yard or property and/or appears to be aggressive toward you or others and the owner is not known.  A deputy will be dispatched to your residence if you want the owners of the dog to be issued a citation.  The deputy will only issue a citation or warning based upon your written statement of what happened.  If the dog owner is not known, animal control will be called to pick up the dog.

Return to top

Q: The ex has not returned the child from a court ordered visitation on time.  What can I do?

A: The Sheriff's Office does not enforce Family Court Orders for visitation.  You must contact your attorney for assistance.

Return to top

Q: I have custody of my child by court order and the other party takes the child and refuses to return the child.  What can I do?

A: There are different forms of custody, such as Legal and Physical Custody. Visitation is not custody.  While the Sheriff's Office does not enforce Family Court Orders for visitation, we understand that this can be a very difficult and emotional situation.  An attorney may be able to help you, or you can contact the sheriff's office if you would like the matter documented for you to bring to your attorney at a later time.

Return to top

Q: Where is the jail located?

A: The jail is part of the sheriff's office building, which is located at 509 18th Avenue SW, Cambridge, MN 55008-9302, USA.  Click here to view a map of our location.  To get to the jail, enter the sheriff's office lobby area and go down the stairs on your right. You do not need to talk to the receptionist at the sheriff's office before you go down to the jail, as jail personnel will be able to help you once you get down the stairs.

Return to top

Q: Can I visit someone who is an inmate at the jail?

A: The Isanti County Jail does allow visitors to come to the jail to see inmates during regular visiting hours. Visiting hours vary, depending on where the inmate is being housed in the jail.  Here are the regular visiting hours for each of the jail housing units:

Huber/Sentence to Serve (STS)

  • Monday 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
  • Saturday 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

Medium Security

  • Monday 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
  • Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
  • Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Maximum Security

  • Sunday 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
  • Wednesday 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
  • Friday 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Return to top

Q: Can I talk to an inmate at the jail by telephone?

A: Inmates are generally allowed regular use of the telephone, once they have completed the booking process.  Under normal circumstances they can call out of the jail, although they will need to call collect or use a telephone calling card. You can also call a special number at the jail to leave a message for an inmate. Inmates will be able to check their messages on a regular basis.  The number to call to leave a message for an inmate is (763) 689-9004.

Return to top

Q: I would like to start a Neighborhood Watch.  How do I get started?

A: There are over 20 Neighborhood Watches throughout Isanti County. If you contact the Sheriff's Office we can provide you with a booklet to help you get going.  There is also a link on this web site.

Return to top

Q: How do I become a police officer or deputy sheriff?

A: The Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Board requires all newly-licensed Minnesota police officers to either have a.) at least a two-year college degree, or b.) experience as a police officer in another state or the armed forces. All peace officer candidates must then pass a state licensing exam and attend a minimum of 48 hours of continuing education every three years.  Candidates with certain criminal convictions are barred from becoming peace officers in Minnesota.  For more information on becoming a Minnesota peace officer, click here to visit POST Board website.

Return to top

Q: I would like to ride along with a deputy. What are the requirements?

A: If you are over 18 years old and have at least one year of law enforcement schooling completed, you can contact Sheriff Chris Caulk to request a ride a long with a deputy sheriff.  You can reach Sheriff Caulk at chris.caulk@sheriff.co.isanti.mn.us or (763) 691-2408.

Return to top

Q: What can I do if I am the victim of identity theft or financial fraud?

A: The Isanti County Sheriff's Office is actively involved in investigation of these types of crimes, and works in close collaboration with the Financial Crimes Task Force.  The sheriff's office also has an investigator dedicated to working on these types of crimes.

In addition to these efforts, the sheriff's office has also developed some informational packets that citizens and businesses can use if you feel you may be a victim of these types of crimes.  You can download these information packets by clicking on the links below, or you can stop at the sheriff's office during business hours to get paper copies of the same information.

Click here for Identity Theft and financial crimes packet, including contact information for credit bureaus.

Click here for an informational packet if someone has given you a bad check.

Click here if you are a merchant and want information on the Isanti County Sheriff's Office Bad Check Diversion Program through Financial Crimes Technology.  This site has the downloadable information you need to process bad checks.

Return to top

Q: Where can I download a Release Waiver for an employment background investigation?

A: Prior to employment, we will perform an employment background investigation.  You will need to fill out a release waiver to begin this process.

Return to top

Q: Where are the Prescription Drug Drop Boxes located?

Isanti County Jail
509 18th Ave SW
Cambridge, MN 55008

Lobby drop box is open 24 hours, seven days a week.

Isanti County Sheriff's Office
2440 Main Street South
Cambridge, MN 55008

Lobby drop box is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m..

Q: What items can I bring to the Prescription Drug Drop Box?

  • Expired or unwanted prescription medication.
  • Unneeded or expired over-the-counter-medicine.
  • Drugs that didn't work for you/a family member/a pet.
  • Medicine from deceased family members.
  • Unknown tablets and capsules.

Q:  What items are NOT allowed in the Prescription Drug Drop Box:

  • No personal care products like lotions and shampoo.
  • No sharps.
  • No mercury thermometers or other mercury containing medical devices.
  • No bio-hazardous waste will be accepted, including items contaminated with body fluids (bandaging, empty IV bags, etc.).
  • No chemotherapy or radioactive waste. Contact your hospital or clinic and return unused medications of this nature to them.

Return to top