How do you locate a parent?

We have several locate tools for locating non-custodial parents. We have some automated interfaces that come through our computer system. We also have access to other websites that can help us.

Why should I establish who the father of the child is?

Establishing paternity for children born outside of marriage gives children the same legal rights as children born to married parents. Children with legal fathers may have rights to benefits through their fathers such as: Veterans, Social Security, Tribal, Workers Compensation benefits, rights of inheritance, and health care coverage.

How is paternity established?

Parents can voluntarily sign a Recognition of Parentage. Signing and properly filing the Recognition of Parentage form establishes the father and child relationship. If parents are not sure, they can have genetic testing done. Isanti County generally uses a DNA test done by swabbing the inside of the cheek to collect cells. The swabs are sent to an outside lab for testing. Another way to establish paternity is to have a court order adjudication.

How do I establish a support order?

Isanti County will establish an order for support if you don’t already have one. We gather information about both parties and draft a proposed order that is served on both parties. If either party objects to the proposal, they can request a hearing where a judge will make the determination. If the parties do not object to the county’s proposal, it will go to a judge for signature. After the judge signs the order, it gets filed with the Court Administrator’s office and sent to both parties.

How are the payments managed?

Most orders for support will order payments to be made via income withholding. The county will send notice to the payer’s employer to withhold support and send it to the Minnesota Child Support Payment Center. If there is no employer, the payer is obligated to make the payments to the Minnesota Child Support Payment Center. The Minnesota Child Support Payment Center disburses the payments to the custodial parent.

Where can I get payment information?

You can get payment information by calling the Interactive Voice Response Line at (800) 657-3512 outside the metro area, or (651) 215-5630 in the metro area. You will need to know your MCI number and your personal identification number (PIN) to use the IVR Line. You can obtain those numbers from your local child support office. You can also access payment information through the Minnesota Child Support online system. There is a link above.

How can I make a child support payment?

To Make a Payment by Mail

Mail your payment to the following address so we can receive and process it as quickly as possible:

Minnesota Child Support Payment Center
PO Box 6432 6
St. Paul, MN   55164-0326

You will need to write your participant ID or child support case number on the payment to be sure it is credited to your account.

To Make a Payment Online

Sign-up to make secure online payments from your United States checking or savings account.

To get started:

  1. Visit http://www.childsupport.dhs.state.mn.us/Action/Welcome
  2. Create your online profile by providing your:
    • Participant number
    • Personal Identification Number
    • Last four digits of your Social Security Number
    • Date of birth
  3. Start paying your child support online every month.
    • Participant number
    • Personal Identification Number
    • Last four digits of your Social Security Number
    • Date of birth

Contact your Child Support Officer for your participant ID and PIN number.

What happens if the payer doesn't pay?

If the payer does not pay their child support obligation, we have several tools available to collect the support. We can do driver’s license suspension, occupational license suspension, recreational license suspension, intercept tax refunds, and contempt actions.

How can I get my court order changed?

Either party can request a review of their court order at any time, if they feel the order is no longer reasonable. An order would be unreasonable if either party’s income changes, or the cost of medical/dental coverage changes, or child care costs have changed. To request a review, send in a written statement, stating the reasons you believe the order should be reviewed, to your local child support agency. You also have the option to request a modification through the courts. To make your own motion, you can obtain the documents from the Court Administrator’s Office or online at Minnesota Courts.

What is the effective date of a court order?

Most orders will indicate the effective date in the order, but if there is no language to say when it is effective, we will start the charging on the first of the month following the date the judge signed the order.

Does the County Attorney’s Office or the Child Support Office represent me when handling a child support matter in court?

The County Attorney and the Child Support Office do not represent either party in court. They represent the interest of the County and State to obtain a fair and just court order.

What happens if the other parent lives in a different state?

If one of the parties resides in a different state, we can start an interstate action asking the other state to establish or enforce the court order.

How does the automatic cost of living increase work?

All child support orders are required to have a cost of living adjustment (COLA) every two years. The COLA is based on the consumer price index. If you have a child support case open with us, our computer system is set up to calculate the increases every two years and are effective on May first of the year your order should have the COLA. If you are the payer and your income has not increased, you can request a motion to have the COLA stopped.

Who can I call for more information?

For general information about the child support program call:

(651) 431-4199 Twin Cities metro area
(800) 657-3954 Outside the metro area

TTY users call:

(651) 431-4346 Twin Cities metro area
(888) 234-1208 Outside the metro area or use the Minnesota Relay at 711

For payment information call:

(651) 431-4340 Twin Cities metro area
(800) 657-3512 Outside the metro area

TTY users call:

(651) 215-5629 Twin Cities metro area
(888) 234-1208 Outside the metro area or use the Minnesota Relay at 711

For Relicacard Questions:

US Bank Customer Service - (866) 276-5114