What is child abuse and neglect?

MN Child Maltreatment Screening Guidelines

How do I report child abuse?

If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected please call the Child Protection Social Worker on Intake at  (763) 689-1711. Should a worker be busy with another report please leave your name so the worker can return your call. If you have concerns after 4:30 pm please contact the Isanti County Sheriff’s Department at (763) 689-2141.

For emergency situations always call 911.

Cambridge City Police: (763) 689-9567
Braham City Police: (320) 396-3383
Isanti City Police: (763) 444-4761
Isanti County Sheriff’s Department: (763) 689-2141

Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect Report Form

Will the family know I reported?

The name of any reporter acting in good faith is confidential and cannot be released except by a Judge ordering the name to be revealed.

Can I report anonymously?

Voluntary reporters can report anonymously, however, it is helpful to have your identity and your relationship to the family in cases where we need clarification or have further questions.

Who is a mandated reporter?

Anyone can report a concern of child abuse or neglect. However, the state mandates that professionals in a child caring role must report.

How old can a child be left home alone?

An article printed in the Green Bay Press-Gazette in Brown County Wisconsin addressed this concern for parents. The questions are good ones to ask in determining whether or not a child is capable of being home alone. There are two areas to address in answering this question. The first area to address is to ensure the home is safe enough for children. The other is to determine the child’s ability to care for oneself.

Questions to answer to determine that your home is safe for your child to be alone are the following:

  • Are there fire dangers in the home?
  • Is there a plan for what to do should a fire occur (e.g. escape route, meeting place)?
  • Are the smoke detectors in working order?
  • Is your home “child proof” with medicines, poisons, knives, and dangerous tools out of reach of the children?
  • Does your child know basic first aid procedures?
  • Is wiring exposed?
  • Do any cords, plugs or sockets look dangerous?
  • Does your child know not to plug in electrical appliances with wet hands?

Questions to answer to determine that your child is able to care for oneself are the following:

  • Do you consider your child mature enough to care for her/himself?
  • Has your child indicated that s/he wants to take care of her/himself?
  • Is your child able to solve problems?
  • Is your child able to complete daily tasks?
  • Is your child generally unafraid to be alone?
  • Is your child comfortable entering your house alone?
  • Can your child unlock and lock the doors by him/herself?
  • Is there an adult living or working nearby that your child can trust in an emergency?
  • Do you consider your house secure?
  • Do you think your child is safety conscious? Does your child play with fire or dangerous equipment? Is your child violent or aggressive?
  • Would a telephone be available to your child?
  • Are you accessible by phone for your child?
  • Can your child use the phone?
  • Is your child free of disabilities that require supervision?
  • Does your child sleep well? Does your child have sleep disturbances or recurring nightmares?
  • Does your child spontaneously tell you about events that have occurred in her/his life?
  • Do you consider the relationship between you and your child to be close?

If you answered no to any of the second set of questions, it is recommended that you delay plans to leave your child alone to care for her/himself. Children need to be prepared for this experience. Setting guidelines for their behavior needs to occur. Routine should be established and emergency procedures should be taught.

Can I call if I have questions?

Yes. You can contact the Child Protection Social Worker on Intake. (763) 689-1711.